Thursday, December 23, 2010

Mexican Stew

Mexican stew
This is more of a soup, than stew, for the mere fact, that we aren’t coating the meat in flour, or any other thickening agents….but nonetheless – a very hearty and tasty one pot meal.  I enjoy one pot meals as a change from a meat and vegetable every night.
1.    1-2 lbs. Grass fed beef, lamb or venison – cut into small cubes.  I have used all 3 of these meats for this one pot dish, and none of them failed in their deliciousness.
2.   Tomatoes – either stewed and diced yourself or store bought, but you need 2-4 cups.
3.   1 whole onion – white or yellow
4.   1 jalapeño  (if desired)  I use Poblano…better flavor – less heat
5.   4 large cloves of garlic sliced, diced or minced – however you like it.
6.   1-2 cups of cooking liquid – water or stock or both.
7.   Kosher Salt, black pepper, chipotle powder, cumin, 2 bay leaves and fresh thyme
I prefer a cast iron skillet, but any skillet will work.  Heat the pan over a medium high heat with some animal fat (bacon grease is my fave, or drippings from any cooked meat).  Brown the stew meat in small portions to get a good sear on the meat.  After all meat has been removed, deglaze the pan with liquid of your choice, I like a hearty red wine (takes less than ½ cup).  Add this now fortified liquid and the meat to a crockpot, set on a high setting (low if left for more than 3 hours).  Add cooking liquid, tomatoes, pepper, onion, garlic and seasonings.  Put the lid on and leave alone for 2 hours.  After 2 hours the meat should be tender.  This can be cooked on a low heat all day while at work also, just make sure you have ample liquid.
This is one of my comfort foods….I eat this when I am needing something comforting, flavorful and aromatic

No comments:

Post a Comment