Thursday, December 30, 2010

Let's talk NUTS!

In the life of a “primal” eater, nuts become a snacker’s answer, bff and/or saving grace.

If you’re like me, finding roasted almonds without sugar, loads of salt, and tons of ingredients you can’t pronounce is near impossible. When I am tired of raw nuts, I roast my own. I’ve read a few articles that say roasting nuts at high temperatures destroys the good fats. You can roast nuts at lower temps for longer amounts of time…or just roast them long enough to bring out the nuts natural oils. But, I also feel that if I’m reaching for roasted nuts instead of a handful of Cheetos, then I’m not doing all that bad. Eat them raw when you can, but for that little something different, roast them, spice them up and make them something to look forward to, not just something to eat instead of that piece of candy.


~Pecans~



Spray cookie sheet with PAM olive oil spray. Place pecans on cookie sheet and lightly spray again. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes. Stir and lay out flat in single layer again and bake 5 more minutes.


I also do the same thing with almonds. I buy the big bags of nuts at Sam's, roast them and put them in tupperware.


Unroasted pecans can be stored for two months at room temperature and in the refrigerator for several
months. They can be stored in the freezer for up to two years.

~Almonds~

Almonds last 4-6 months after opening in a fridge.

Omega 3 GOOD. Omega 6 Not-as-good (according to Mark Sisson).  Check out this article from Mark Sisson to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment