Monday, August 20, 2012

Sausage and Cabbage

Beef Sausage $2.88 (you can use any kind you want).
Red Onion $1.69
Head of Cabbage – Around 3 dollars.
Meal for 4 under $8.

Cut the sausage into large pieces and placed in a hot pot to crisp up for a few minutes. Once I’d turned the pieces and browned all sides I took them out and placed the chopped red onion in to soften. Once that was tender I threw in the entire head of cabbage that I’d cut into strips. I added a few spoons of bacon fat, some salt and pepper. 
There are several variations of this. I’ve seen it with red wine or red wine vinegar.  I like the cabbage kind of crisp since it makes me feel like I’m eating pasta or something crunchy. ( :

Takes about 20 minutes and smells amazing.

I threw away the core of the cabbage but Diana said she has chopped this up and and made it into a salad by adding oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.  I'll have to try this next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment